General FrontPage FAQ
FrontPage is not supported on Unix Server(s)
- What are FrontPage Extensions?
- How do I know if my website supports FrontPage extensions?
- Do I have to activate my FrontPage extensions?
- How do I upload/publish my pages onto my RCN website using FrontPage?
- Why does my "pub" file keep getting deleted?
- How do I set permissions on directories?
- My mailform works but I never get any e-mail?
- What is a "port 80" error?
- I am getting "Server error: Web is busy. Please try again.". What do I do?
1. What are FrontPage Extensions?
These are special components in FrontPage that allow you to create forms on your site without using any programming languages. They also allow you to manipulate the set-up of the forms in a WYSIWYG (WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet) environment. The server your website is on needs to have the files that allow these extensions to run or execute.
2. How do I know if my website supports FrontPage extensions?
On RCN, only the windows platform support FrontPage.
If you wish to upgrade your current hosting package to support
FrontPage extensions or wish to purchase an entirely new RCN Web
hosting package, please call 1.877.726.7000 and follow the phone
prompts to Commercial Sales.
3. Do I have to activate my FrontPage extensions?
No. They are activated by default. RCN will configure your site for FrontPage by installing and maintaining the Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions.
4. How do I upload/publish my pages onto my RCN website using FrontPage?
5. Why does my "pub" file keep getting deleted?
- Click on File, Click on Publish Web
- Specify Location: This is going to be your website, www.yourdomain.com.
- Click on the Publish button.
- You will be prompted for your username and password. This will be the information provided to you by RCN to access your site.
FrontPage is trying to create a mirror of your local site on the server. Any files or directories that are on the server and not on your copy of your website are deleted.
6. How do I set permissions on directories?
- This will result in a "home directory inaccessible" error if your try to log into your site using FTP.
- You can prevent this from happening by creating a "pub" folder on your local website.
- Please contact CCS to have your /pub directory recreated if you have deleted it in error.
You can set permissions on your directories by:
7. My mailform works but I never get any e-mail?
- Right click on the directory in the Folder List.
- Click on Properties in the pop-up window.
- There are several options available: Allow scripts to Execute, Browse, etc. To allow scripts to Execute is what makes the scripts able to work from that directory. If you allow Scripts to be browsed, you are allowing all visitors the potential to view the contents of the directory.
You most likely have not configured the form to send to your e-mail address. You do so by:
Please Note: It is NOT necessary to change the file name or location.
RCN is also not able to provide support or consultation services
for scripting issues.
- Right Click on the form.
- Click on Form Properties.
- Here you will see the field in which to enter your e-mail address.
8. What is a "port 80" error?
This is an error that relates to your internal web server, which is installed by FrontPage onto your computer. RCN does not provide technical support related to the use of your FrontPage software. User issues should be referred to the Microsoft Technical Support Team.
9. I am getting "Server error: Web is busy. Please try again.". What do I do?
Frontpage is working in the background. When editing your site via Frontpage, Frontpage might recalculate hyperlinks.
When Frontpage does this, it will open every file and read it, looking for any special frontpage code. The larger your site the longer this will take.
If this error is still there after 30 mins you may wish to remove the lock file. The lock file is locate in the _vti_pvt folder and is called "service.lck"